Living a healthy and happy life with diabetes is possible. Millions of diabetes patients manage their blood sugar levels with Ayurveda and avoid onset of major health complications caused because of neglecting timely treatment for diabetes. Understand the root cause of your diabetes, manage and treat it with Ayurveda. Take proactive steps to lower your risk of further health problems.
Ayurveda does not regard Diabetes as a disease that can be treated by mere medicine or by a dietary regimen. Madhumeha is classified as a Maha Rog (Major Disease) because, if not treated in time, it can lead to several complications in the body, including eye problems, joint pains, impotency, kidney failure, sexual and urologic problems, and more. Diabetes is a metabolic disorder and it cannot be merely treated by controlling sugar levels. The treatment recommended in Ayurveda – as against modern medicine – is aimed at rejuvenating the body to not only balance sugar levels, but also ensuring that no further complication is caused.
Proper diet and lifestyle decisions help in balancing your blood sugar and result of treatment show quickly. It also prevents or decrease the risk of complications. Read diet & lifestyle recommendations and discover simple home remedies.
Diet & Lifestyle
- Include whole grains in the diet, such as wheat bread/pasta and brown rice.
- Cheese and yogurt prepared with skimmed (nonfat) milk may be taken.
- Use garlic, onion, bitter gourd, spinach, raw banana, and black plum.
- Make a flour mixture of 1 part barley, 1 part black chickpeas, and 4 parts whole-wheat flour and use this to form pancakes and bread.
- Avoid sweet fruits like pineapple, grapes, mangoes, etc.
- Avoid sweet, sour, and salty foods, potatoes, sweet potatoes, colocasia (taro), yams, fresh grains and pulses (legumes), whole yogurt (high in fat), and heavy, oily and spicy foods.
- Start doing some light exercise, such as brisk walking. Build up to a brisk walk of 30-40 minutes in the morning and again in the evening.
- Avoid sleeping in the daytime as it increases Kledaka Kapha.
- Dry the leaves of mango tree and grind to a powder. Mix 1 teaspoon dry powder in a glass of water and drink it daily to reduce high blood sugar levels.
- Take 2 teaspoons of bitter gourd (karela) juice once a day. One can also increase its use as a cooked vegetable.
- Take 1 teaspoon of Indian gooseberry (amla) juice mixed with 1 teaspoon of bitter gourd juice twice a day.