Erectile Dysfunction, or impotency, is a sexual problem in males because of which erection cannot be maintained or the erection is not firm enough for sexual intercourse. In Ayurveda, this condition is known as Klaibya and is categorized in four different types. Erectile Dysfunction treatment is sought by healthy males due to stress, fatigue or some health problems, among others. Ayurveda provides personalized Erectile Dysfunction treatment that is a combination of medicines, diet and lifestyle recommendations.
Ayurveda categorizes male impotency problems in 4 different groups, of which Dhajabhangaja Klaibya is the closest to the western concept of erectile dysfunction. The causes of this type of Klaibya are excessive indulgence in sex, chronic diseases, trauma to the genitalia or damage of the penile tissues. Temporary causes such as hunger may also lead to Dhajabhangaja Klaibya. Two other types - Bijopaghataja and Shukra Kshayaja Klaibya refer to a condition in which the quality of sperm and amount of semen produced decreases. The fourth type, Jaraja Klaibya is caused due to advanced age and poor nutrition. For Erectile Dysfunction treatment, the doctor first identifies the root-cause behind the problem before providing personalized treatment.
Use of anti-depressant drugs, alcoholism, nicotine addiction, psychological problems and vitiation of Vata dosha are other causative factors. In addition to these, other contributing factors include diabetes, neurological problems, depression and cavernosal disorder.
- Weak erection / lack of erection
Ayurvedic Erectile Dysfunction Treatment
According to Ayurveda, ED is basically a condition of low vitality. Generally vitiation of vata dosha is responsible for Klaibya or ED. On the basis of the cause, seven types of Klaibya are mentioned in Ayurvedic texts, e.g. Manasik klaibya is caused by psycological factors, Doshaj klaibya is caused by physiological factors, Shukrakshayaj is caused by deficiancy of Shukra dhatu, Vyadhij is cause by some other disease like diabetes, Aghataj is caused by surgical or accidental trauma, Shukranirodhaj is caused by suppresion of sexual urge and Sahaj means congenital.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
Since Klaibya or ED is primarily Vata disorder, strengthening therapies are utilized in Ayurveda. Vajikarna is a branch of Ayurveda that deals with aphrodisiacs and contains many effective therapies and herbal solutions that can completely cure this disorder.
Patients should follow the underlying guidelines:
- Take simple, chemical free diet, as many chemicals used for growing and manufacturing food articles can affect nervous functioning and sexual arousal.
- Prevent indigestion, constipation and vitiation of Apan Vayu that is resposible for penile erection. So patient should avoid foods that trigger gas formation like potato, beans, peas, brinjal etc and prefer fruit vegetables, spices like dry ginger and drinks like lemon water which release gases easily.
- Excessive salt, acids, tobacco & alcohol too should be avoided. Most of dry fruits, fresh fruits and milk products increase sexual vigour.
- Consuming pure ghee and dry fruits like almond & cashew regularly boost sexual vigour and prevents erectile dysfunction.
- Performing Yogasan & Suryanamaskar regularly improves tone of the muscles required for erection while doing Pranayam brings about mental relaxation and tranqility.